- Gold saw its worst retreat since 1980 this week (April 15-19), with selling so strong that standard deviation measurements that are hardly ever heard were being tossed around like buoys in choppy waters. U.S. stock index futures fell on Wednesday, indicating the S&P 500 will retreat from its second-best daily performance of the year as commodities fell.
- U.S. stocks posted their worst day since Nov. 7 on Monday as big declines in the price of gold, oil and other commodities fed a broad selloff in equities, with weakness accelerating late in the session.
- Fatal explosions near the finish line of the Boston Marathon shook our national confidence.
- New max drawdowns were set by Bluenose BI and White River Group DIV – options traders.
- We’re in new territory – again. We wanted to let you know that we’ll be in touch with the managers of many of our CTAs to discuss risk management and what went wrong and right with this week’s events. Most importantly, we wanted to reach out to you, our client with our thoughts about moving forward.
- On the positive side of things – this would be the GOOD part, the CTA managers we expect to thrive during a volatility spike have done their job as evidenced by the top performing programs month to date.
If you have not already, this would be an excellent time to reach out to your broker and connect on the week’s events and your plans for moving forward.
Disclaimer: Trading futures, options on futures, retail off-exchange foreign currency transactions (“Forex”), investing in managed futures and other alternative investments are complex and carry a risk of substantial losses. As such, they are not suitable for all investors. This website contains information obtained from sources believed to be reliable, but such information has not been independently verified and its accuracy is not guaranteed by Foremost Trading. Past performance is not necessarily indicative of future results. Any mention of performance in any context whether actual or hypothetical is no guarantee of future results. Foremost Trading became a registered ‘dba’ of RCM Alternatives in July of 2020. Please see full disclaimer here: https://www.rcmalternatives.com/disclaimer/